Feeling stuck from fear? Yicky! That place of indecision is the worst! Isn’t it?
I remember a fantastic dance facilitator said that “if you’re feet aren’t moving, it’s because you’re scared! So lift your feet up and start moving around the space!”
Fear definitely does that to us doesn’t it?
It sticks us to the spot. It holds us so strong, that eventually it grinds us to the ground.
But if we move, we find space, we find solutions. I’m talking from a very recent personal experience, where I felt there was no where to go.
The worst thing is it’s like a Catch 22:
You’re so fearful you can’t move, but the longer you don’t move, the more stuck you get and the fear increases.
So what can you do? Little steps.
Here are some steps to get you out of the funk and moving again:
Ask yourself –
1) How does being stuck/being fearful serve me?
2) What benefits me by being stuck/afraid?
3) Why am I stuck/afraid? – list all of it!⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
4) Based on the answers you gave in #3 if all of that came true, would it really be that bad? (No REALLY?!
5) What would the best version of me, do?
6) What ACTION can I take that says “f*CK you fear”? (Small is good too).
Now it’s time to drop into your body:⠀
7) Recall a time that you were fearless and feel how that feels in your body. Take your time here to really take on the sensations of courage, confidence and any other emotions that you tie to being fearless.
The last step is to…
8) TAKE ACTION!
Be bold, get moving! ANYTHING that can get you going again is good. Talk to a trusted friend (there’s an action), get them to ask you these questions and hold space for you.
Sometimes you just can’t do it on your own and that’s fine. We have pretty tricky minds that can keep us tied up in knots. We need another perspective, or another person who is not stuck in the mud with you, but who is hanging on the rope to pull you out!
Remember start small, be kind to yourself.
It’s likely you are here, because you’ve hit your edge of comfort or you’ve even gone beyond it and it scares the hell out of you.
But know this too:
When you are at the edge of your comfort, you are just about to grow…
So dear reader – what is that one THING that has you stuck? How can you get moving?
Here are some questions/ideas for you, to further explore this topic on your own:
Can you recall the first time you had this fear?
Would you like to keep playing with this fear or not?
Become aware of how often you play into this concept of fear
Notice how your body reacts when you are fearful
Play with changing your body to feel courageous and confident
When you feel the fear coming on, say boldy STOP! and change your body and thoughts to being more courageous, calm and confident.